Many fires in the home are reported each year as being caused by electrical faults, accidents or misuse of electrical equipment. These can be prevented by turning them off at the plug and unplugging them. Always talk to the adult you live with before doing anything with electrical items!

  • Turn your TV off before going to sleep.
  • Turn games consoles / tablets / laptops off before going to sleep.
  • Don't leave phones charging overnight.
  • Don't leave a laptop on your bed when it's switched on, as it gives off heat and can set your bed on fire.
  • Turn hair straighteners off when you have finished with them and put them on a heat proof mat to allow them to cool down before putting them away
  • Overloaded plug sockets can cause fires. Take care when using an extension lead that may have four or more available spaces. The total output should not exceed more than 13 amps (a kettle alone uses 13 amps).
    • Remember, high-rated appliances such as washing machines, dish washers and microwaves always need their own socket. For example, if you have a games console and a TV plugged into an extension lead you can't plug in a hairdryer or heater. Doing so would exceed the maximum amount of 13 amps.
  • Don't overload sockets - know the limits
    • Remember, four available sockets does not necessarily mean it is safe to use four plugs - it depends on the output load.
Image of a burnt phone charger
Image of the aftermath fire caused by an overloaded electrical socket


Candles should only be used by adults and kept away from young children and pets.

Candles should not be used in rooms where people are asleep or as a comfort light, if you need a light use battery lights or torches

Portable heating appliances

Do not put anything on the heater or use it to dry clothes.

Never sit too close to the heater as you could set light to your clothes.

Make sure you stand heaters away from furniture or curtains.

This is a picture of what happened when somebody left their laptop on.

How would you feel if your bedroom suddenly looked like this and all your clothes and belongings were gone.

Image of a heavily fire damaged bedroom

Most accidental house fires start in the kitchen

Most kitchen fires occur when people are distracted or leave things unattended.

Never use a toaster under a shelf or kitchen cupboard - pull it out from under the cupboard when in use.

Don't hang wet or damp tea towels on the cooker to dry.

Dirty grill pans and ovens cause fires. Help keep them clean.

When using a microwave read the cooking instructions carefully, ensure you don't put in any metal objects.

Kettles can cause serious burns from the steam, make sure you don't lean over the kettle when it's boiling.

Kitchen carelessness costs lives
Internal and external shot of fire damage to rooms when a door remains closed.

Closing doors can make a real difference if there is a fire in your home.

What you should do if there is a cooking fire

Try not to panic and don't take any risks.

Don't move the pan.

Never throw water or use a fire extinguisher.

Turn off the heat - If it's safe to do so.

Leave the kitchen, closing the door behind you.

Ensure everyone else in the home is out too.

Don't go back inside for any reason.

Once you are out safely call 999 and ask for the Fire Service.

The same goes for any fire! Get out, Stay Out, Call the Fire Service Out!

Night time routines

Close all doors to prevent the spread of smoke.

Turn off and unplug all electrical items - apart from those designed to be left on.

Please enable JavaScript to use the Socket Calculator.

The Socket Calculator has been brought to you by Electrical Safety First.

For more safety information visit